Skip to main content

Strange Things That Exist on the Internet.

And believe me when I say that I understand it is impossible to encapsulate all that falls under this category in one, or even one THOUSAND posts. Even in my hearing about and stumbling upon the strange things that exist on the big and scary interwebs, I'm sure I haven't even come close to the ugly underbelly that lies ahead of those who actually SEARCH for these things.

Subject of focus? 4chan. I know this is nothing new for many (ye be judged!), but what in the world IS this?! Well, according to the description one finds on Google after typing this curious term into its search engine, it is merely the "largest English imageboard on the web". Ah! But it is SO much more than that. Is this where internet memes are born, or is it where they go to die?!

Upon clicking to the site from Google, the "recent images" I was subjected to consisted of: One white girl in a native headdress, one half-naked anime girl (99.9% of this site) AND one transexual woman bent in such a fashion that her less-than-womanly MAN parts are brilliantly exposed for all the world to see.

Categories seem to boast some sort of ability to pander to all sorts of interests, with Japanese niche words like (WARNING: NOT SAFE FOR WORK OR OTHER PEOPLE IN GENERAL) "oekaki" and "ecchi"

I guess the most odd component of the site would be the users. One interesting and seemingly hypocritical example:

"Are video games and 4chan the only thing you are going to do for the rest of your life? You pathetic sedentary eunuchs. Go outside and meet someone. If you're ugly as fuck, which you most usually are, there are plenty of fat and ugly girls around. You stupid virgins, at least read and educate yourselves; end this squalid beardnecktedness that has consumed you. You make me fucking sick.

Thanks and good night."

Beardnecktedness indeed.

On the flipside, who am I to display a weariness towards the people who indulge in such INTERNET appendages? If 4chan is what makes you happy who am I to cry "what the f***?!" Besides, there appears to be categories even *I* could be interested in, like the academic stylings of the "literature" categ- oh wait, nevermind. =/

Love, Tasha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

:: Wounds and Such

This post is about scars. Today, at some point, I was thinking about scars. Everyone has them. One scar is from aimlessly tumbling down a ditch in childhood. Another one on my knee was acquired from falling on ice. My favourite knee scar is comprised of three parts- 1) the long remnants of a botched incision, 2) a hole in the kneecap and 3) two little "x" shaped things above aforementioned incision. The story- at the age of fifteen, I was having the time of my life. My friends and I left school property to hang at a park. I ran and ran and laughed and laughed and rode the swing and jumped and soooooooared through the air and then landed, hard. Nothing about me has ever been the same since. They reconstructed a ligament in my right knee. I like to think the scar signifies a sort of bravery- repeated needles, an epidural, a night in a lonely hospital bed, hallucinating by way of injected morphine doses. How badass. There is a small scar on my eyelid that only *I* can notice, w

Sweet, Sweet Sundays.

Definition of SWEET 1 a (1) : pleasing to the taste 2 a : pleasing to the mind or feelings : agreeable, gratifying —often used as a generalized term of approval b : marked by gentle good humor or kindliness c : fragrant d (1) : delicately pleasing to the ear or eye (2) : played in a straightforward melodic style e : saccharine, cloying f : very good or appealing 3 : much loved : dear 4 a : not sour, rancid, decaying, or stale : wholesome b : not salt or salted : fresh c : free from excessive acidity —used especially of soil d : free from noxious gases and odors e : free from excess of acid, sulfur, or corrosive salts Sundays are my only days off as it is; I work a few times during the week, and when I'm not doing that, I'm on campus, learning things about Shakespeare most people will probably never know or even care to know about in their lifetime. The main issue with my lack of blogging is that week days strike me as mundane, unin

Wowza

And alas, my message to Shaun (White) becomes lost in a sea of hundreds of others of comments. Related: VANCOUVER 2010 BABY!!!!! <3<3<3 CANADA!!!