Skip to main content

The Possibilities are Endless.

What would you do if your personal abilities were limitless?

Today, like most Sundays, my boyfriend and I spent the day together. Movie, lunch and me and him times is pretty much my ideal day, albeit unproductive in other aspects. Still, <3!

ANYWAY, We decided that we would watch the film "Limitless", based on some recommendations and some comments floating around the web. I feel like the film itself must have been poorly marketed or whatever, since it's not in the top five this week and I also didn't really hear much about it until recently.

What this post is REALLY about, however, is the central concept of the movie. Edward Morra (Bradley Cooper) is presented with a clear pill that opens up the percentage of the human brain that usually goes unused. Even though this statement was immediately debunked by my boyfriend (a connoisseur of miscellaneous information), Edward the bum of an unsuccessful writer becomes motivated, tidy, clean, successful, highly intelligent and even talented in the span of thirty seconds.

And so, the film presents to its audience the exceedingly tempting idea of a drug that taps into all of our unused potential, ambition and perception. Despite all of the crazy things that happened to Edward Morra as a result of his using the drug, I was definitely sold.

I'd learn languages. Retain and build on what I know of English, Mandarin Chinese and French, and move onto Spanish, Italian, Dutch, German, Japanese, Bulgarian, Swahili, you name it.

I'd break into any field of expertise I wanted. I've always had interests in literature and media...but with a pill like that I'd be able to overcome any intellectual flaws, thereby being able to do math and inherently biology, zoology, marine biology...and act in Shakespearean plays on the side since my confidence and ability to tap into emotions would be uninhibited.

I'd become more wealthy, according to my own new-found resourcefulness, and work on retiring both my parents early so they'd never have to work again. I'd settle my grandmothers into dream homes and care for them in any ways needed as time went on.

I'd learn instruments, like Edward Morra. Piano, drums, violin. I'd become a virtuoso.

With those kind of abilities, nothing would be a mere attempt anymore. Everything would be a complete success, a triumph and not an effort, just another ordinary thing you can do, like eating, sleeping or breathing.


And yet, the movie inspired me. If Edward wasn't so lazy and unkempt, he could have been capable without the drug. The movie seemed to imply that much of the knowledge that emerged were things he'd already encountered in his life. Sure, there are some things (that I don't want to give away) that were impossible for a regular human to achieve...but languages, organization, self-respect...these are all things that we can have.

That's what got me to finally update my blog, and from now on there will be nothing but me bullying myself to get things done. Wish me luck!

Are you just as unsatisfied with your own attempts at self-improvement sometimes? Shouldn't we just make the most of who we are? Would YOU follow in the footsteps of Bradley Cooper as Bradley Cooper, but on drugs?!

Afterall, the possibilities would be endless.

Love, Tasha.

xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

:: Wounds and Such

This post is about scars. Today, at some point, I was thinking about scars. Everyone has them. One scar is from aimlessly tumbling down a ditch in childhood. Another one on my knee was acquired from falling on ice. My favourite knee scar is comprised of three parts- 1) the long remnants of a botched incision, 2) a hole in the kneecap and 3) two little "x" shaped things above aforementioned incision. The story- at the age of fifteen, I was having the time of my life. My friends and I left school property to hang at a park. I ran and ran and laughed and laughed and rode the swing and jumped and soooooooared through the air and then landed, hard. Nothing about me has ever been the same since. They reconstructed a ligament in my right knee. I like to think the scar signifies a sort of bravery- repeated needles, an epidural, a night in a lonely hospital bed, hallucinating by way of injected morphine doses. How badass. There is a small scar on my eyelid that only *I* can notice, w

Sweet, Sweet Sundays.

Definition of SWEET 1 a (1) : pleasing to the taste 2 a : pleasing to the mind or feelings : agreeable, gratifying —often used as a generalized term of approval b : marked by gentle good humor or kindliness c : fragrant d (1) : delicately pleasing to the ear or eye (2) : played in a straightforward melodic style e : saccharine, cloying f : very good or appealing 3 : much loved : dear 4 a : not sour, rancid, decaying, or stale : wholesome b : not salt or salted : fresh c : free from excessive acidity —used especially of soil d : free from noxious gases and odors e : free from excess of acid, sulfur, or corrosive salts Sundays are my only days off as it is; I work a few times during the week, and when I'm not doing that, I'm on campus, learning things about Shakespeare most people will probably never know or even care to know about in their lifetime. The main issue with my lack of blogging is that week days strike me as mundane, unin

Wowza

And alas, my message to Shaun (White) becomes lost in a sea of hundreds of others of comments. Related: VANCOUVER 2010 BABY!!!!! <3<3<3 CANADA!!!