Skip to main content

Tashybell.

If there was any one, ridiculous word I could use to describe myself to other people, the word would be "fairy". And no, it's not just because I am short in stature with a tinkly voice and a rainbows-and-cupcakes disposition, nor is it only because I am a gay man trapped in a woman's body.

In the book "Peter Pan" (one of my all-time favourite books EVAR on the PLANET), J.M. Barrie said: "Fairies have to be one thing or the other, because being so small they unfortunately have room for one feeling only at a time. They are, however, allowed to change, only it must be a complete change."

Tinkerbell is always experiencing emotional extremes- sometimes she's mellow and content, other times she's jealous and bitchy and convincing people to try and kill Wendy.

I myself feel like I am only capable of hosting one feeling at a time. Mainly because, at the best of times, a happy feeling will surround me and wrap me up in a warm blanket of muffin-y loveliness. At the worst, negative feelings will consume me until all that's left is a sad little nymph that no one wants to be around, all shreds of hope so far from reach.

Why is it so difficult to find a balance between the two?

Change is possible...but it has to be for real.

*shrugs*

-T

xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

:: Wounds and Such

This post is about scars. Today, at some point, I was thinking about scars. Everyone has them. One scar is from aimlessly tumbling down a ditch in childhood. Another one on my knee was acquired from falling on ice. My favourite knee scar is comprised of three parts- 1) the long remnants of a botched incision, 2) a hole in the kneecap and 3) two little "x" shaped things above aforementioned incision. The story- at the age of fifteen, I was having the time of my life. My friends and I left school property to hang at a park. I ran and ran and laughed and laughed and rode the swing and jumped and soooooooared through the air and then landed, hard. Nothing about me has ever been the same since. They reconstructed a ligament in my right knee. I like to think the scar signifies a sort of bravery- repeated needles, an epidural, a night in a lonely hospital bed, hallucinating by way of injected morphine doses. How badass. There is a small scar on my eyelid that only *I* can notice, w

Sweet, Sweet Sundays.

Definition of SWEET 1 a (1) : pleasing to the taste 2 a : pleasing to the mind or feelings : agreeable, gratifying —often used as a generalized term of approval b : marked by gentle good humor or kindliness c : fragrant d (1) : delicately pleasing to the ear or eye (2) : played in a straightforward melodic style e : saccharine, cloying f : very good or appealing 3 : much loved : dear 4 a : not sour, rancid, decaying, or stale : wholesome b : not salt or salted : fresh c : free from excessive acidity —used especially of soil d : free from noxious gases and odors e : free from excess of acid, sulfur, or corrosive salts Sundays are my only days off as it is; I work a few times during the week, and when I'm not doing that, I'm on campus, learning things about Shakespeare most people will probably never know or even care to know about in their lifetime. The main issue with my lack of blogging is that week days strike me as mundane, unin

101 Ways to Deal With Disappointment

I would definitely be the biggest liar if I said that as a  person in her mid-twenties I have learned everything about who I am and am entirely confident about it. I know there are many people who maybe don't feel the same, and if this is true I am envious. I have found that trying to reach that end-all, be-all of solidifying my identity in this life has been a consistent struggle. And you know, I used to feel angsty about this, wondering why in my twenties I should be as stunted as a fifteen-year-old, feeling confused, awkward and much of the time alone. Cue the Taylor Swift and let me daydream about Edward Cullen or whatever it is these days. And shamefully, it took me up until very recently to figure out that actually, the secret to this continuous internal battle really does come in the form of the redundant, cliche and somewhat simplistic notion of being yourself . I also realized recently, through a series of both successes and disappointments, that the most important comp